As we all know, MS Outlook uses Personal Storage Table (PST) file format to store emails, contacts, notes and all other Outlook items. However, there is a size limit to each PST file depending upon various Outlook versions. MS Outlook 2002 and earlier versions have 2GB size limit, whereas Outlook 2003 and 2007 maximum file size is limited to 20GB and for Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016 size limit has been set to 50GB. If the PST file size exceeds the size limit then the file may get corrupt. As you have come here to know the method to split your PST file, take help of these below-given techniques.
Method 1: Using Archive Settings
- Open Outlook application
- Go to File > Info > Cleanup Tools
- The from the drop down menu select Archive option
- From the new window, select radio button, Archive this folder and all subfolder
- Then select the folders from the list, which you are wishing to move (E.g. Inbox, Notes etc.)
- Add the date of items in Archive items older than text box
- Then from the same window, click on Browse button and select the location where you want to save PST file
- Then lastly click on OK. (This will move all the folders items you selected to a new .pst file and reduce the size of actual .pst file)
Method 2: Using Import and Export
- Run MS Outlook account
- Click on File and go to Account Settings then click on ‘Account Setting’
- From the new window, select Data Files tab and click Add option
- After clicking on Add, a new window appears with the name ‘Create or Open Outlook Data File’
- Here, you need to name the PST file and select storage location
- Then click on OK and close the window
- Now, go back and click on File tab and select Open -> Import
- Then a window comes up with the name 'Import and Export Wizard', from this select Export option and click on Next button
- Select PST file and click Next
- Now, select folder to export from Export the folder window and then select items to export and click Next
- Browse the destination location to save new PST file and name it
- Before finishing this, if you want to create a password for new PST file then take help of set password option. If not then click on Finish option and end the process.
As we saw, we can split Outlook PST file using features supported by Outlook. However these methods are not reliable, so if not performed properly then this may lead to data loss or corruption. So to repair the damaged PST file or PST file items make use of a trustworthy Outlook PST recovery software namely Outlook Recovery Tool.
How to use this tool?
Note: You can follow the same steps to recover OST file, deleted Outlook folder, corrupted PST item and so on.
Step 1: Download PST Recovery Tool and install it on your system .Step 2: Launch the software as per the on-screen instructions
Figure 1: Main Screen
Step 3: Make use of browse option to choose PST file from your system and hit next
Figure 2: Select PST File
Step 4: Wait until the repair process completes, then you will see a popup indicating your PST file is repaired as in figure 3.
Figure 3: Preview Repaired PST File